Live like a minimalist, buy like a maximalist.
You'll be happier and richer when you buy less stuff. But when you do buy, buy at the best price possible. That, is the art of saving.
· Bring your own bottle
Make your own drinks with simple syrup and any fruits/tea. Or drip your own coffee. I love the Don Donki Drip Bag Coffee and it's less than RM1 per cup.
Easy (with investment)
· Grow veg on a hydroponic.
It takes about RM250 to start (cheaper if you don't need all-in package like me) and then RM15 monthly to maintain.
· Join ABC cooking studio and go for trial class
The initial investment is about RM1200, but I do this to bake many birthday cakes for just RM25.
· Use GrabUlimited | FoodPanda Premium etc.
· Meal Prep
I try this many times, but I think I spend more, and waste more food. This is something of a chef skill level for me.
· Join clothing swap events
One is held in KL/PJ every month
· Buy smart: Darker colors will give you more wear.
· Do minor repairs on clothing.
Easy (with investment)
· Only buy silver or gold accessories
· Glasses: Buy the frame from a road side shop and get the lens done in an optical shop.
· Dehumidifier: Buy sodium chloride and refill the box.
· First stop for household items - Dollar shop like Ninso | Eco Shop.
· Tune the air-con by 2 degrees up.
· Join beli nothing project on Facebook
· Make your own storage with paper bags
· Find cheap rental and sublet the rooms.
· Check the T&C when you buy car insurance
While car insurance rate are relatively fixed in Malaysia, the price could be quite different after you add PA and add-ons.
· Sign up for library card when you're overseas. Some good ones includes Singapore National Library, NYC Public Library.
· Get free Coursera premium access through State Library.
· Learn and get certified on luxury brand in LHVM website.
The fun & shameless*
*No judgement. Do it if you need to pinch penny.
· Charge your phone in the office
· Bring a tumbler and fill the office coffee/milo before heading home.
· Get all the birthday gifts you can get during your birthday month.
· Use Student ID to buy Apple Gadget from Education store
· Get multiple to burn sim-card and sign up for first offers.
The expensive things
· Opt for lunch for fine dining.